There are three primary types of electricians out there: residential, commercial, and industrial — each of which brings different knowledge and areas of expertise.
If you have an electrical problem or need at your business, you need a specialized and experienced commercial electrician that will get the job done right the first time around. Electrical problems will interfere with your business and daily operations, so you need to trust that the person you hire knows exactly what they are doing and can complete the work quickly.
We know how hard it can be to find the right person for the job, so we put together these tips and questions to help guide you in your search for a commercial electrician.
An Introduction to Finding A Commercial Electrician
When looking for a commercial electrician, it is important to take your time, do your research, and be selective. Some recommended research steps are:
- Check out their website
- Read customer reviews and testimonials
- Call and speak to them over the phone
- Schedule a time for them to come to your business
Before you even start your search though, you need to know what qualities and skills to look for, what red flags to avoid, and the questions to ask. We will explore all of this in more detail below.
What to Look for in Commercial Electricians
Below are some key qualities to look for as you search for the right commercial electrician for the job:
- Properly Licensed: Washington State recommends electricians to include their licensing on all advertised material including their website. You will want to check that the state licenses provided are currently active.
- Fully Insured: Washington State requires all licensed electricians to have insurance and workers’ compensation coverage. This is another reason why it important to verify that the license number is active. You do not want to be held liable in case things go wrong while they are working onsite!
- Specialized Experience: Not all electrical experience is created equal. You will want to look for someone who has specialized commercial experience. For example, if you are the owner of a restaurant, it would be a good idea to ask if they have performed electrical services for other restaurants in the past.
- Good Communication: Look for a commercial electrician who is readily available and easy to get a hold of. They should communicate clearly and confidently with you about your electrical needs. If provided with a written quote, make sure the information is detailed and understandable.
- Professionalism: You also want to find a commercial electrician who is professional and will treat you and your business with respect. You want someone who will prioritize your schedule and be prompt and timely.
- Great Customer Service: It is hard to define exactly what great customer service looks like, but you know it when you feel it. Look for signs of their willingness to go above and beyond.
Red Flags to Avoid with Commercial Electricians
It is recommended that you compare at least three quotes from different commercial electricians in order to make a more informed decision. You should not only compare the total cost quoted, but also the turnaround time, experience, presentation, communication, professionalism, and level of detail provided. As you compare them, look out for the following red flags:
- Unrealistic Quotes: You should be wary of quotes that seem unrealistic or unusually cheap. Electrical companies that lowball their quotes are more likely to cut corners by employing less qualified electricians, using low-quality materials, outdated equipment, or ignoring safety protocols. On the other hand, you should also look out for quotes that seem excessively expensive in comparison to others.
- Lacking Detail: Make sure the quote provided is detailed and covers all the work to be done. If they are not thorough and informative at this early stage, they are unlikely to be later about the work being performed.
- Unreliability: Look out for signs of unreliability such as disorganization, tardiness, messiness, or inability to follow through. These negative traits will only prolong your project and can result in conflict down the line.
Questions to Ask Before Choosing a Commercial Electrician
As you search for a quality and trustworthy commercial electrician, it is important to do your due diligence and ask plenty of questions. Below are a few key questions that can help you get a better feel for the electrician’s professionalism and level of experience:
- Are you currently licensed in this state?
- Do you stay up-to-date on all code requirements?
- Will you be obtaining all the required permits?
- How many years of experience do you have?
- How many commercial electrical projects have you completed?
If you sense any uncertainty, hesitation, or defensiveness on their part when answering these questions, trust your gut! It is not always about the answers themselves but how they react and respond to them.
Trusted Commercial Electricians in SW Washington
Electrical problems can cause major disruptions to your business, costing you time and money. It is important to hire an electrician that will not only take care of your current issue but also take the time to assess your whole electrical system to prevent possible future outages. Do not settle for just any commercial electrician; take your time to find the right partner who will make your schedule and safety their top priority.
If you are on the hunt for a commercial electrician in SW Washington, our experienced and trustworthy team of electrical technicians are here to help. We will get the job done right the first time around, leaving your business with quality electrical systems to last for years to come.