Are you looking for a qualified residential electrician that you can trust with your home?
There are three types of electricians available for hire, residential, commercial, and industrial, and each have a different set of skills and expertise. If you have an electrical problem or need at your home, you’ll want to hire a specialized and experienced residential electrician who will get the job done right the first time around. Electrical problems at home can interfere with your comfort, safety, and daily life; which is why you need to trust that the person you hire will treat your home with respect and make your project a priority.
With over 739,200 electricians working in the United States, it can be difficult to narrow it down and find the right person for the job. We put together these tips and questions to help guide you in your search for a qualified residential electrician. If at any point you determine you need a residential electrician in Washington, we’re here to help!
An Introduction to Finding a Residential Electrician
When looking for a residential electrician, it’s important to take your time, do your research and due diligence, and be selective. Take a look at their website, read through their customer reviews and testimonials, call and speak to them over the phone, and request a detailed quote.
Before you even start your search though, you need to know what qualities, skills, and licensing to look for in a residential electrician. We will explore all of this in more detail below.
What to Look for in Residential Electricians
Below are some key qualities to look for as you search for the right commercial electrician for the job:
- Fully Insured: No matter how small the job may be, you need to make sure that the residential electrician you hire is properly insured. You should also ask about whether they have workers’ compensation coverage; you don’t want to be held liable in case things go wrong while they’re working in your home!
- Specialized Experience: Not all electrical experience is created equal. You’ll want to look for someone who has specialized residential experience.
- Good Communication: Look for an electrician who is readily available and easy to get a hold of right off the bat. You also want someone who is able to communicate clearly and confidently with you about your electrical needs. If they provide you with a written quote, make sure the information is detailed, thorough, and understandable.
- Professionalism: You also want to find an electrician who is professional and will treat you and your home with utmost respect. You want someone who will prioritize your schedule, be prompt and timely, and leave your home in an overall better condition than they found it in.
- Great Customer Service: It’s hard to define exactly what great customer service looks like, but you know it when you feel it. Look for signs of their willingness to go above and beyond.
- Properly Licensed: Hiring an electrician with the proper licensing is crucial! We will expand on this in the following section.
The Importance of a Licensed Electrician
Perhaps the most important thing to pay attention to as you search for a residential electrician is whether or not they are properly licensed.
If it’s not already listed on their website, a trustworthy residential electrician should be able to provide you with their licensing info on the spot, without hesitation. You will also want to check that the state licenses they provide are currently active. Additionally, you should make sure that they are up-to-date on all the latest code requirements.
Below are some of the key reasons why you should always hire a licensed residential electrician:
- Certified by the State: All licensed contractors must go through a rigorous licensing process to prove to the state where they work that they are capable of serving their community both safely and professionally.
- Proper Permits: Wiring your home requires certain permits that can only be obtained by a licensed electrician. If you plan to sell your home in the future, you may be required to disclose any unpermitted work — and if you neglect to disclose anything, the buyer can later sue you for damages. Electrical upgrades should add value to your home, not subtract from it!
- Up-To-Date on Codes: Licensed Contractors are required to stay up-to-date with the National, State, and Local Codes, which are designed to help ensure proper installation, function, and safety.
- Liability: Few, if any, unlicensed electricians are fully insured with comprehensive workers compensation and liability insurance. This means that you could be held personally liable in the event of an emergency, accident, or damage to your property. Also, insurance claims may be denied if a problem arises from work performed by unlicensed workers down the line.
- Safety: Performed incorrectly, even the smallest electrical job can pose major threats to the safety of your home, including serious fire hazards. Licensed residential electricians will adhere to more strict safety regulations, so you can rest assured that your home is in good hands.
- Surety Bond: Licensed electricians are required to place a surety bond which ensures that you’re paid a predetermined sum of money in case the technician fails to complete the assigned job. Licensed technicians typically also offer warranties or guarantees on their work.
- Latest Technologies: Licensed residential electricians are more likely to be up-to-date on the latest technology and installation techniques.
- Quality of Service: Overall, licensed residential electricians offer much more professional and high-quality electrical and customer services.
Finding a Skilled Residential Electrician in SW Washington
If you’re based in SW Washington, our highly-trained and fully-licensed electrical technicians are ready to help with any electrical repair, replacement, installation, or upgrade you might need for your home. We treat every home we work on as if it were our own, and promise to make your schedule and safety our top priority. To get started, schedule a service call on our website or call 360-200-6650 today!