Industrial facilities rely on highly-complex and expensive machinery with many moving parts. Even the smallest electrical problem can trigger costly disruptions and inconveniences for your business.
That’s why hiring a qualified and experienced industrial electrician is absolutely essential. We put together this guide to help you find a good industrial electrician, one you can count on to get things back up and running quickly, safely, and efficiently. Let’s get started!
How to Find a Good Industrial Electrician
First and foremost, let’s define what an industrial electrician is and why they’re needed for certain jobs. Simply put, an industrial electrician is one that provides electrical services to industrial facilities, including manufacturing and production plants.
Industrial facilities rely on specialized, high-powered, and expensive electrical equipment, so specialized knowledge and experience is needed. Compared to a residential environment, the electrical demands of industrial facilities are high; for safety and efficiency reasons, industrial electricians must have experience working with high-voltage systems. Furthermore, industrial electrical problems and mistakes can lead to costly disruptions to your business, so you need someone who can get the job done quickly and correctly the first time around.
Finding an experienced and qualified industrial electrician can be daunting. Here are a few basic steps to follow as you begin your search:
- Seek Recommendations: It’s a good idea to ask your networks if they know of any trusted industrial electricians that they would recommend.
- Online Research: In addition to word of mouth research, do some searching online and make a shortlist of industrial electricians in your area.
- Read Reviews: One of the best ways to narrow down your search is to look at recent customer reviews. If they don’t have any reviews online, it may be a red flag.
- Request Quotes: Once you have a shortlist of candidates for the job, you can reach out to request quotes for your project. They should provide you with a detailed quote that includes upfront and transparent pricing. Be wary of quotes that seem abnormally high or low.
- Ask Questions: In the sections below, we’ll share some important questions to ask during your search. Asking questions is a great opportunity to get to know them better and see if they’re a good fit for you and the specific project you need help with.
- Trust Your Instincts: At the end of the day, you should go with your gut and hire the candidate that inspires the most trust and confidence.
What to Look for in Industrial Electrical Services
In this section, we’ll highlight some of the most important things to look for when hiring an industrial electrician.
Specialized Training & Experience: As previously discussed, specialized knowledge and experience is absolutely crucial for industrial electricians. More specifically, look for someone with experience working in industrial facilities and with high-voltage systems. They should have experience with motor controls, equipment controls & programming and know how to confidently install, repair, and maintain generators, regulators, electric motors, industrial storage batteries, switchgears, transformers, electrical wiring, and switch boxes, at minimum. Some industrial electricians have sub-specialties, such as experience in the motor vehicle industry.
Licensed & Insured: Industrial electricians, like other types of electricians, should be fully licensed and insured. If it’s not already listed on their website, a trustworthy industrial electrician should be able to provide you with their licensing information on the spot, without hesitation. You will also want to check that the state licenses they provide are currently active. Additionally, you should make sure that they are up-to-date on all the latest code requirements.
State Certification: Requirements vary from state to state, but most require specific certifications, so be sure to do some local research. For example, to work as an electrician in Washington, you must have a valid electrician certificate issued by the Department of Labor & Industries.
Good Communication: Industrial electrical problems are something you need taken care of promptly and efficiently in order to avoid any disruptions to your business. Look for an electrician that responds quickly and communicates clearly.
Great Customer Service: This goes hand in hand with good communication. It’s hard to define, but you know it when you feel it. You want to find an industrial electrician who will go above and beyond and make you feel like a priority.
Questions to Ask Your Industrial Electrical Contractors
When looking to hire an industrial electrician, asking the right questions is important. Here are a few that you should keep in mind during your selection process:
- Can you provide proof of licensing and insurance?
- Do you have any references you can share?
- Can you provide me with a detailed quote?
- What is a reasonable timeline for project completion?
- Do you offer any repair guarantees?
Getting these questions and more answered before you sign a contract will make your working relationship stronger and smoother.
Looking for a Good Industrial Electrician in Washington?
Whether you’re looking for an industrial, commercial, or Washington residential electrician, we’re here to help. Our electrical technicians are highly-skilled and experienced in providing quality electrical services to a wide range of industries and specialties. We’ll make your safety and schedule our top priority and get things back up and running in no time!